93-113 Harper St.
Project Development grant
£50,000 Disbursed (2018)
The eleven Harper Street Houses No. 93-113 are a small part of what was once a much larger Victorian residential area built to provide homes for the increased number of industrial workers brought to the area by the growth of the pottery industry. The terrace is made up of standard ‘two-up, two-down’ houses. The terrace was constructed at the same time or shortly after Middleport Pottery in 1888. Although the terrace is unlisted, it makes a strong contribution to the setting of, and has strong historic connections to, Middleport Pottery, a Grade II* - listed historic site.
Re-Form Heritage, formally known as UK Historic Building Preservation Trust, which owns and operates the Middleport Pottery, saved this last remaining undeveloped Victorian terrace from demolition with a clear vision for the reuse of the Harper Street terrace. This consists of four main elements: an Archive & Collections Store including a research centre; interpretative pottery workers’ house; tenanted flexible workshop spaces; and a community centre. The Trust was awarded Project Viability and Development Grants totalling £22,590 in 2016 and 2018 respectively. A loan of £50,000 was awarded to the Trust to provide working capital throughout the restoration of the project.