Caerwent House dates from around 1600 and was among two principal houses in the region noted in an early 19th-century gazetteer of Monmouthshire, but it has long been empty and had fallen into dereliction, blighting the local Conservation Area. But a compulsory purchase order in 2017 provided a beacon of hope for its future, which will be secured through a partnership between The Spitalfields Trust, Monmouthshire County Council and Cadw.
The Spitalfields Trust was established in 1976 (as the Spitalfields Historic Buildings Trust) to safeguard and preserve the Spitalfields area of East London. Among the oldest and most successful of the traditional ‘Building Preservation Trusts’, the Spitalfields Trust has retained its original business model of acquiring, restoring and selling historic properties whose survival is threatened and where any economically viable solution is beyond the reach of the original owner. The profits from property sales are then recycled into additional purchases in a virtuous cycle. The Trust works across London and Kent, having saved and transformed dozens of at-Risk buildings; Caerwent House is their second project in Monmouthshire, again partnering with the County Council.